Ethos & Values
Community, Unity, Opportunity
Educating the community for a better future
We are proud and welcoming of our diverse community. Our school provides an engaging environment. This enables the children to take ownership of their own learning to become lifelong learners.
We believe that our school is a learning environment for all the stakeholders - pupils, staff, parents and the wider community.
All pupils should have the entitlement to quality engaging and exciting teaching and learning. We expect our pupils to take ownership of their learning and to assess their own progress. To do this we have high expectations and aspirations for all of our pupils.
Personalised learning is about helping every child and young person to do better, which means tailoring their education to their individual needs, interests and aptitudes so as to fulfil their potential and giving them the motivation to be independent, lifelong ambitious learners.
We are proud of the relationships we have with our pupils, parents/carers and believe that it is central to the making our vision come true.
Every child leaving Bannerman Road Community Academy should:
- Enjoy the journey of learning
- Have an open and enquiring mind
- Know and be proud of their own skills and positive qualities in others
- Be able to recognise and value skills and positive qualities in others
- Achieve the highest levels of literacy, numeracy and Information Technology, together with social and communication skills
- Enjoy physical and emotional wellbeing
- Be aware of their rights and responsibilities
- This will enable each child to enjoy and make the very best of the next steps in their journey
This is demonstrated though our school values that underpin everything we do at Bannerman Road Community Academy and correlate with the UN convention of the rights of child, including articles 3, 4, 12, 13, 15, 19 and 28.
- Respect We are respectful to each other, our environment and ourselves.
Be kind, Be polite, Be helpful
- Resilience We rise to a challenge, have a go at everything and learn from our mistakes.
Be confident, Be brave, Be calm
- Responsibility We do our best, manage our distractions and make good choices.
Be ambitious, Be focussed, Be proud
- Curiosity We have open inquisitive minds and our excited about our learning.
Explore, Be creative, Be excited
- Collaboration We enjoy learning together, ensuring everyone plays a part.
Listen, Be involved, Be supportive
At Bannerman Road Community Academy, we are a ‘Rights Respecting’ school. This means that everything we do, from teaching to play, is based around the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child (CRC). A rights-respecting school not only teaches about children’s rights but also models rights and respect in all its relationships: between teachers/adults and pupils and between adults and pupils.